Re: [LUG] NIS (YP) + Samba ...

On Fri, 23 Sep 2011, Rob Beard wrote:

On 23/09/11 19:53, Gordon Henderson wrote:
OK. LDAP server..

http://www.howtoforge.com/linux_ldap_authentication

appears to make it relatively easy to use LDAP under Linux, but what
about samba..

http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_&_LDAP

OK, it's a possibility...

The crucial thing is that it honours unix group permissions though...

When you specify the shares in the smb.conf you can specify the create mask, directory mask and force groups.

Samba can - I'd need to check ldap..

I'm also re-reading all the samba stuff again. An added complication
would appear to be that not all the servers are on the same LAN.

Multiple network cards in the servers? :-)

No. Multiple LANs off multiple routers. Isolated from each other for various good (or bad) reasons. That means that the network browser isn't going to find all the servers - so if they have to type in the name/ip of the server, then so be it.

Ah well. Looks like some light reading this weekend!

:-)

Essentially what's happened is that a little R&D co. I support need to
take on more staff and contractors - and 99% of these will be using
their own laptops in office &| working from home so the nice tidy little
Linux setup has been somewhat disrupted!

Ahh yeah I had something similar when I was supporting the small local radio stations, they just let presenters bring their laptops in, no checking on if any of the stuff was legal or had up to date anti-virus/security updates.

Well, yes, anti-virus. Bah.

I guess you can always specify a more strict policy for them connecting their machines. :-)

The idea is to make it easy for people, and for the most-part these are quite technically orientated people, but there's a balance to be struck, and of-course, what could possibly go wrong...

Cheers,

Gordon