Re: [LUG] NIS (YP) + Samba ...

On Sat, 24 Sep 2011, Philip Hudson wrote:

On 23 Sep, 2011, at 9:44 pm, Rob Beard wrote:

Well there is Microsoft Security Essentials, free for both commercial and non-commercial use. Not too bad too.

Though of course we would always recommend ClamAV (FLOSS), right?

That's what I'm doing - basically an overnight scan of the entire filestores - not perfect, but acceptable for now and there's a nice Debian package for it too. Although how it's going to cope with a terabyte of files thrown at it every day is anyones guess...

Fascinating thread. High signal-to-noise ratio. :-)

Well, lets' hope so :) It's been some 5-6 years since I've setup anything bigger than 1 (maybe 2) samba servers on a LAN - now I have 4 Linux servers on 3 local LANs, and a 5th server 300 miles away on the VPNd LAN, with people on every LAN needing to access servers on any other LAN (and occasionally the remote one) - the servers themselves are fine with NIS and NFS, but now we have "foreign" laptops ...

One shame is that NFS and NIS never really lent itself to laptop use either - I don't think it ever really kept up, so even with Linux laptops, mounting your "company" home directory poses challenges. Almost wondering if using SMB/CIFS to mount 'drives' on Linux laptops might start to make sense now - so provide a central LDAP server, the Linux servers then use LDAP for authentication rather than NIS, the samba servers also use LDAP to authenticate clients connecting to them, so the holy-grail of one common "password file" is achieved, the Linux servers mount (cross mount, aargh :) using NFS, Linux desktops can mount using NFS, Win desktop can use CIFS, and laptops of any variety (inc. mac?) use CIFS...

So in windows world we have a workgroup and if you try to mount a drive off a server in that workgroup, then you need a username/password and the samba running on that server uses LDAP to validate those credentials and off you go... (or not!)

What can possibly go wrong...

Gordon