Re: [LUG] devon county council budget cut consultations

On Sat, 24 Sep 2011, paul sutton wrote:

What's intersting to me, recently, is the effort to move just one
person from XP to Linux (my wife). She's fairly clever though and can
now use OpenOffice writer and calc as easy as she could use Office
before - she's even getting to grips with Scribus too - but one thing
that was an issue recently was printing documents - she was exporting
to PDF to email to people, but when she printed them locally, some
letters were missing! It turns out to be an issue with "Document
Viewer", whatever that is - I think it's a Gnome thing... I suggested
she print directly from OpenOffice - which worked fine - then
installed XPDF for her, and that printed them fine too. I then wasted
10 miutes trying to work out how to make xpdf the default PDF viewer,
but found out that it was a viewer thing in the GUI filemanager rather
than some system thing - ah well. So it's a learning process for lots
of things, all the time...

Gordon

I think this is one of the reasons software centre is taking over as the
default package manager so there is one program user interface for
people to use,  ok its controversial as people here probably prefer
synaptic but i think if you look at it from a new user point of vew
software centre is a lot more user friendly.

Personally, I use dselect - because it's what I was using unteen years ago when I first moved to Debian, however ...

What I did show my wife was the gnome thing - and it might well have been "software centre". She was somewhat confused until I said something along the lines of "it's just like the application manager in your android phone" - then she got all excited and once she know what it was, she then could work out what it did and how to use it... So it's a terminology issue...

(And I suspect she's now going to use it to install 3 million new packages that I'll be epxected to teach her about!!!)

I've always thought that training was not a "proper" requirement, but it really is - I've seen too many people who're absolutely terrified of computers and when a menu moves a few pixels to the left or right they really are stuck.

Even (what I think are) simple things like "Export to PDF" rather than "Save as PDF" confused her - even I had to work that one out - my explanation is that exporting is one way, saving means you can re-read it again (yes, I know you can read & edit PDFs, but in general...)

Again we have a CHOICE if this was MS or perhaps apple were doing this
you have to accept the new changes regardless of if you think that is a
step back or a step forward.

We, as private individuals doing our own thing have a choice, yes. People working for companies or local authority, etc. don't always have that luxury, and people providing ICT for these companies don't always want to make the choice for fear of losing their job, embarassment, lack of adequate funds, lack of bribes, etc.

Gordon