Re: [LUG] devon county council budget cut consultations

On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 11:48:05AM +0100, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Sep 2011, paul sutton wrote:
>
> >>What's intersting to me, recently, is the effort to move just one
> >>person from XP to Linux (my wife). She's fairly clever though and can
> >>now use OpenOffice writer and calc as easy as she could use Office
> >>before - she's even getting to grips with Scribus too - but one thing
> >>that was an issue recently was printing documents - she was exporting
> >>to PDF to email to people, but when she printed them locally, some
> >>letters were missing! It turns out to be an issue with "Document
> >>Viewer", whatever that is - I think it's a Gnome thing... I suggested
> >>she print directly from OpenOffice - which worked fine - then
> >>installed XPDF for her, and that printed them fine too. I then wasted
> >>10 miutes trying to work out how to make xpdf the default PDF viewer,
> >>but found out that it was a viewer thing in the GUI filemanager rather
> >>than some system thing - ah well. So it's a learning process for lots
> >>of things, all the time...

1 Office
1 server
10 users
Remote login via vpn (for security)
has just moved from server 2003 to 2010: even after two weeks people are
still complaining

I finally got my android calender to sync to the office by deleting the old database
on
android and reinstalling.

I am much happier as now I can work from home with no problem

PS I now have three pdf viewers on my laptop
- Evince. Still very helpful when I want to cut and paste tables into word
  and when I have to fill in pdf forms.
- Xpdf. Simple, fast, my default
- Epdfview: sort of inbetween

> >>Gordon
> >>
> >I think this is one of the reasons software centre is taking over as the
> >default package manager so there is one program user interface for
> >people to use,  ok its controversial as people here probably prefer
> >synaptic but i think if you look at it from a new user point of vew
> >software centre is a lot more user friendly.
>
> Personally, I use dselect - because it's what I was using unteen
> years ago when I first moved to Debian, however ...
>
> What I did show my wife was the gnome thing - and it might well have
> been "software centre". She was somewhat confused until I said
> something along the lines of "it's just like the application manager
> in your android phone" - then she got all excited and once she know
> what it was, she then could work out what it did and how to use
> it... So it's a terminology issue...
>
> (And I suspect she's now going to use it to install 3 million new
> packages that I'll be epxected to teach her about!!!)

Next problem: "I can not get an ABC.exe to run on my computer"

> I've always thought that training was not a "proper" requirement,
> but it really is - I've seen too many people who're absolutely
> terrified of computers and when a menu moves a few pixels to the
> left or right they really are stuck.

Someone on this list at one point said something like "simple things are
hard". Yes, training is a skill. As is talking to users before you spend
umpteen million on building new IT infrastructure (NHS? Wifes work also)

I personally think every one who uses a computer should have to go on a
refresher course once a year. Just to point out silly timesavers and update
best practice.

> Even (what I think are) simple things like "Export to PDF" rather
> than "Save as PDF" confused her - even I had to work that one out -
> my explanation is that exporting is one way, saving means you can
> re-read it again (yes, I know you can read & edit PDFs, but in
> general...)
>

> >Again we have a CHOICE if this was MS or perhaps apple were doing this
> >you have to accept the new changes regardless of if you think that is a
> >step back or a step forward.
>
> We, as private individuals doing our own thing have a choice, yes.
> People working for companies or local authority, etc. don't always
> have that luxury, and people providing ICT for these companies don't
> always want to make the choice for fear of losing their job,
> embarassment, lack of adequate funds, lack of bribes, etc.

Yes

Going back to Paul's original point:
- Can DCC save money by switching to FLOSS: yes
- Will it be quick: no.
- Will it happen, I agree with Gordon's last point and frankly from reading
  the following so does Microsoft
http://www.microsoft.com/Presspass/press/2011/sep11/09-20DividendPR.mspx

"REDMOND, Wash. â Sept. 20, 2011 â Microsoft Corp. today announced that its
board of directors declared a quarterly dividend of $0.20 per share,
reflecting a 4 cent or 25 percent increase over the previous quarterâs
dividend. The dividend is payable December 8, 2011 to shareholders of
record on November 17, 2011. The ex-dividend date will be November 15,
2011.

âOur strong financial results enable us to increase our dividend as part of
our ongoing commitment to return capital to our shareholders,â said Peter
Klein, chief financial officer of Microsoft.

The company is continuing its $40 billion share repurchase program approved
by the board of directors in September 2008. The repurchase program, which
expires on September 30, 2013, had approximately $12.2 billion remaining as
of June 30, 2011."

--
Henry
Photocopies or faxes of my signature are not binding.