Re: [LUG] choosing hardware

I'd have thought for ease of configuration of it all, just use a gigabit switch, means you don't need an extra network card in your machine :-)

I've now got a gigabit connection between my laptop and the wife's PC and it is very quick, I just need to now get a gigabit network card for my server sometime.

Any particular reason why you have gone for a gigabit network card in addition to the motherboard?

The motherboard already has a gigabit connection on it.

Otherwise, nice spec. ÂAre you sticking two sticks of DDR3 memory in there?

Rob

I will be using one stick of 1GB ram for the time being, should be more than enough for a computer that is not running X.

I think my router has a gigabit connection but not 100% sure of that, it's a BT homehub. I also prefer the idea of the server being connected to the PC. The network here is very busy as we all watch on demand TV all at the same time.

Ran a speed check the other day at around 1pm I got 24Mb down and 1.1Mb up, again, should be ample bandwidth for a web server.