Re: [LUG] choosing hardware

On Mon, 8 Aug 2011, Gibbs wrote:

On 08/08/11 11:20, Gordon Henderson wrote:
You can backup about 1GB overnight when the remote site has standard ADSL. Maybe push that that 2GB if they have 800Kbps uploading and you use compression.

I do lots of backups from remote sites overnight - and in some cases the data sets are 100's of GB, but using rsync keeps it all relatively sane... Until someone on a remote site renames a directory, then it all falls apart!!!

The server I have at work has about 250GB+ worth of data and a poor upload speed. It will get there but the fact it changes daily doesn't help!

In my world, there's no excuse for a company broadband system to have a poor upload speed. Even one client I have who can only get 2Mb/sec in, gets 700Kb/sec out... However...

But how much changes daily? Other than my own stuff, my busiest customer that I do off-site backups for (a web design company), rarely changes more than a few 100MB of data a day, but it's all going to depends on the workload and what they do - the time I see a big change with these guys is a brand new customer with a digital camera of images to be manipulated!