Re: [LUG] choosing hardware

On 07/08/11 22:39, Daniel Robinson wrote:
The server is for fun for me at home and also eventually i'd like to sell web space to friends and friends of friends.

You can get cheap hardware that will do a good job. Try start low with the aim of upgrading over time and always looks around and try and get the cheapest.

The issue you will probably find is with your internet line. If you are using some sort of home "broadband package" your upload speeds will be miserably slow. If the line isn't dedicated you using at home will also effect peoples connections. I have a backup NAS at home that syncs with a server at work (both on standard broadband lines) and its still trying to catch up after a month or so.

As someone else suggested your best bet would be an unmanaged VPS if you intend to serve websites for other people. I've found WizzVPS to be a reliable option on the cheap.

Gibbs