Re: [LUG] choosing hardware

On 09/08/11 21:56, Daniel Robinson wrote:
Would like to thank everyone for their comments and suggestions. I will
be using the server for fun and educational purposes. I have decided to
go with Debian as OS of choice.

I will run a network cross over cable between my PC and the new server
to keep network traffic to a minimum and for optimal data transfer speed.

I'd have thought for ease of configuration of it all, just use a gigabit switch, means you don't need an extra network card in your machine :-)

I've now got a gigabit connection between my laptop and the wife's PC and it is very quick, I just need to now get a gigabit network card for my server sometime.

Any particular reason why you have gone for a gigabit network card in addition to the motherboard?

The motherboard already has a gigabit connection on it.

Otherwise, nice spec.  Are you sticking two sticks of DDR3 memory in there?

Rob