Re: [LUG] choosing hardware

On 09/08/11 22:55, Daniel Robinson wrote:

I will be using one stick of 1GB ram for the time being, should be more
than enough for a computer that is not running X.

I'd suggest 2 x 512MB sticks, that way it will work in dual channel mode giving a bit of a speed boost (or since memory is reasonably cheap, 2 x 1GB). I agree about not needing much more than that though, well maybe not unless you're going to be running big databases or doing some sort of visualisation :-)

I think my router has a gigabit connection but not 100% sure of that,
it's a BT homehub. I also prefer the idea of the server being connected
to the PC. The network here is very busy as we all watch on demand TV
all at the same time.

I have a feeling the Homehub 1, 1.5 and 2.0 don't have Gigabit (at least my BT Homehub didn't which was odd since it supported Wireless N). Luckily my Virgin Super Hub does.

I doubt on demand TV will make a dent on your network speeds. Even Bluray video is only about 40 Megabit/sec, so you'd have plenty of spare capacity at 1Gbit (unless you're running something like 24 concurrent Bluray streams :-)

Ran a speed check the other day at around 1pm I got 24Mb down and 1.1Mb
up, again, should be ample bandwidth for a web server.

Yep, not too bad, if it's not heavily used then 1.1Mbit isn't too bad, although you have to take into account ACK packets, if you flood your upload with data then it can slow down your download, although you maybe able to set some sort of quality of service on the hub (can't remember if this is possible). You may find too that BT have enabled the OpenZone wireless sharing on your home hub too which can potentially eat up some bandwidth on your connection.

Rob