Re: [LUG] OT: Chrome Books - opinions...?

On 14/05/11 12:09, Grant Sewell wrote:
On Sat, 14 May 2011 11:54:17 +0100
tom wrote:

On 14/05/11 11:29, Grant Sewell wrote:
On Sat, 14 May 2011 07:33:57 +0100
tom wrote:

On 13/05/11 18:26, Grant Sewell wrote:
<snip>
*Some* documents are in proprietary formats.  Not all.

Grant.

For proprietary read 'human and not computer'. Its very very easy
to take computer interpretable data and present it for humans to
read. Its not so easy the other way round. To my PC an ODF
document is just garbage compared to the same data in an XML file
which can be made human readable with a style sheet. I'd guess
than most homes and offices have encrypted (and lost)>90% of their
data in documents. Tom te tom te tom
Funny, I've just taken a random (fairly small) ODF spreadsheet
document on my computer, renamed it unzipped it (since it seems to
be a fairly standard zip compressed file), and this is what I found:

content.xml:              XML  document text
meta.xml:                 XML  document text
mimetype:                 ASCII text, with no line terminators
settings.xml:             XML  document text
styles.xml:               XML  document text
META-INF/manifest.xml:    XML  document text
Thumbnails/thumbnail.png: PNG image, 225 x 256, 8-bit/color RGB,
non-interlaced

Now, as far as I can tell almost all the above components of that
ODF document are XML, which is exactly what you wanted.  I'm not
entirely sure I understand how you can say "To my PC and ODF
document is just garbage compared to the same data in an XML file"
when an ODF document comprises almost exclusively XML files.

Sure there is a PNG file but I'm not sure normal XML is the best
way of storing 225x256 pixels of 8bpp image data.  I have no doubt
it *could* be done, but is it necessarily the best way of doing so?

Grant.

No thatâs NOT what I wanted - I want the DATA xml (or JSON or
whatever) formatted - ODF is about presentation.
When I get an invoice I'd like the DATA in it (dates, address,
invoice number, company identification etc) formatted so that my
accountancy package can read it straight in.
So... what you're telling me is that ODF *doesn't* include my data? It
*only* includes formatting information?!  What the hell has LibreOffice
done with my data?! Where is it?! :p

I thought ODF contained both the data *and* the formatting stuff... so
*you* could take the data (and just the data) if you wanted, whereas
those of us who want the data *and* the formatting information could
use it too! Sounds like a win-win to me!

Incidentally, if it seems that I'm being a touch facetious it's because
I am.  I understand completely your viewpoint, and I don't necessarily
disagree with it.  But the world isn't black/white so surely there's
room for 90% grey in your argument?

Grant.

No - make that 95% grey....
Tom te tom te tom