Re: [LUG] OT: Chrome Books - opinions...?

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 9:28 AM, Simon Waters <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 12/05/11 08:41, Roland Tarver wrote:
>> http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2011/05/new-kind-of-computer-chromebook.html
>>
>> What do folks think about this? (or are you trying not too ;-) ).
>>
>> Perhaps consider this from your perspective and that of a non-geek?
>
> Not off topic if it runs Free Software, and even in this case GNU/Linux.

I was not *absolutely* sure it did. Hence OT.

> I think any attempt to:
>  Break the monopoly
>  Make life easier
>
> Is to be welcomed.

Agreed.

> It'll certainly be on my list next time my sister says "I want a
> computer, I want to do online banking and I'm considering Microsoft
> Windows...." (she got a Mac Mini last time she said something list this
> and it is still working fine).

I know quite a few folks (my mum! would be a prime candidate) that it
could be very handy for.

It all sounds lovely, but - everything in "the cloud" :-s ??? Really?
Although I have no evidence or experience to prove it (except the
recent amazon outage) I just don't have a good gut "feeling" about all
my data (or mums, etc) in "the cloud"? Do you? Do others?

Best wishes
roly :-)