Re: [LUG] OT: Chrome Books - opinions...?

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 10:53 AM, tom <tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> As far as I can tell there are all the tools you need for free to do almost
> whatever you want in computing. There are two ways to make money out of you:
> 1) provide a service. For me this would be connectivity, a web server and
> associated storage.
> 2) Or do what google, ms, apple et all are trying to do - keep you ignorant
> and provide 1/2 service - one that doesnt encourage you to actually learn
> about computers and what they can do and how to use them so they can charge
> you for the privilege of using your 21st century technology to emulate a
> victorian office.

The problem, as I see it, is that not everyone wants to "learn about
computers and what they can do" when all that they want is to have
something that resembles a letter in some capacity.

> The only docs you should ever write are emails or possibly web pages.
> Spreadsheets are like programming without the last 30 years of software
> engineering experience added and should never be used in enterprise.

Really?  So my Mother would have been better learning about
programming and software engineering just so she could process her
yearly accounts?

> Facebook should be a small app on your webserver that allows you full
> control of YOUR data that you can allow friends to connect into.

So you're advocating that everyone should have their own webserver?
Who's going to foot the bill for this?  Is everyone required to learn
how to manage their own webserver?

> Modern computing solutions car be compared to Ford selling you a car with a
> half blacked out windscreen, charging you for a chauffeur, charging you to
> drive down certain roads to buy certain FORD compatible bits, making the
> engine oil run out really quickly so things go wonky and you think you need
> new ones.
> Learn to drive, learn to map read and then you may be shocked to discover
> that the CPU is in fact a matter transporter and most of the driving around
> was unnecessary.
> Tom te tom te tom

Grant.