Re: [LUG] OT: Chrome Books - opinions...?

On 14/05/11 11:29, Grant Sewell wrote:
On Sat, 14 May 2011 07:33:57 +0100
tom wrote:

On 13/05/11 18:26, Grant Sewell wrote:
<snip>
*Some* documents are in proprietary formats.  Not all.

Grant.

For proprietary read 'human and not computer'. Its very very easy to
take computer interpretable data and present it for humans to read.
Its not so easy the other way round. To my PC an ODF document is just
garbage compared to the same data in an XML file which can be made
human readable with a style sheet. I'd guess than most homes and
offices have encrypted (and lost)>90% of their data in documents.
Tom te tom te tom
Funny, I've just taken a random (fairly small) ODF spreadsheet document
on my computer, renamed it unzipped it (since it seems to be a fairly
standard zip compressed file), and this is what I found:

content.xml:              XML  document text
meta.xml:                 XML  document text
mimetype:                 ASCII text, with no line terminators
settings.xml:             XML  document text
styles.xml:               XML  document text
META-INF/manifest.xml:    XML  document text
Thumbnails/thumbnail.png: PNG image, 225 x 256, 8-bit/color RGB,
non-interlaced

Now, as far as I can tell almost all the above components of that ODF
document are XML, which is exactly what you wanted.  I'm not entirely
sure I understand how you can say "To my PC and ODF document is just
garbage compared to the same data in an XML file" when an ODF document
comprises almost exclusively XML files.

Sure there is a PNG file but I'm not sure normal XML is the best way of
storing 225x256 pixels of 8bpp image data.  I have no doubt it *could*
be done, but is it necessarily the best way of doing so?

Grant.

No that’s NOT what I wanted - I want the DATA xml (or JSON or whatever) formatted - ODF is about presentation. When I get an invoice I'd like the DATA in it (dates, address, invoice number, company identification etc) formatted so that my accountancy package can read it straight in. ODF will give me something that may look nice on a piece of A4 but I DO NOT WANT TO EVER READ IT so I really don’t give a toss what it looks like. That goes for >90% of documents I receive. Practically none of them are any use computer wise. But give me that formatted data I can make a human readable document in a blink of an eye - but the other way round- getting data out of documents is a very laborious process. 20 years ago a lot of companies used to use EDI - I worked for one that took over 2000 orders over a 2400 baud line in about 40 minutes -straight into its erp system. Once they started using documents they had to employ over 100 people to carry out the same task. Thats 100 copies of office software doing what an 8086 pc could manage with its eyes shut.
Tom te tom te tom