Re: [LUG] OT: Chrome Books - opinions...?

On Sat, 14 May 2011 11:54:17 +0100
tom wrote:

> On 14/05/11 11:29, Grant Sewell wrote:
> > On Sat, 14 May 2011 07:33:57 +0100
> > tom wrote:

> >> For proprietary read 'human and not computer'. Its very very easy
> >> to take computer interpretable data and present it for humans to
> >> read. Its not so easy the other way round. To my PC an ODF
> >> document is just garbage compared to the same data in an XML file
> >> which can be made human readable with a style sheet. I'd guess
> >> than most homes and offices have encrypted (and lost)>90% of their
> >> data in documents. Tom te tom te tom
> > Funny, I've just taken a random (fairly small) ODF spreadsheet
> > document on my computer, renamed it unzipped it (since it seems to
> > be a fairly standard zip compressed file), and this is what I found:
> >
> > content.xml:              XML  document text
> > meta.xml:                 XML  document text
> > mimetype:                 ASCII text, with no line terminators
> > settings.xml:             XML  document text
> > styles.xml:               XML  document text
> > META-INF/manifest.xml:    XML  document text
> > Thumbnails/thumbnail.png: PNG image, 225 x 256, 8-bit/color RGB,
> > non-interlaced
> >
> > Now, as far as I can tell almost all the above components of that
> > ODF document are XML, which is exactly what you wanted.  I'm not
> > entirely sure I understand how you can say "To my PC and ODF
> > document is just garbage compared to the same data in an XML file"
> > when an ODF document comprises almost exclusively XML files.
> >
> > Sure there is a PNG file but I'm not sure normal XML is the best
> > way of storing 225x256 pixels of 8bpp image data.  I have no doubt
> > it *could* be done, but is it necessarily the best way of doing so?
> >
> > Grant.
> >
> No thatâs NOT what I wanted - I want the DATA xml (or JSON or
> whatever) formatted - ODF is about presentation.
> When I get an invoice I'd like the DATA in it (dates, address,
> invoice number, company identification etc) formatted so that my
> accountancy package can read it straight in.

So... what you're telling me is that ODF *doesn't* include my data? It
*only* includes formatting information?!  What the hell has LibreOffice
done with my data?! Where is it?! :p

I thought ODF contained both the data *and* the formatting stuff... so
*you* could take the data (and just the data) if you wanted, whereas
those of us who want the data *and* the formatting information could
use it too! Sounds like a win-win to me!

Incidentally, if it seems that I'm being a touch facetious it's because
I am.  I understand completely your viewpoint, and I don't necessarily
disagree with it.  But the world isn't black/white so surely there's
room for 90% grey in your argument?

Grant.