Re: [LUG] OT: Chrome Books - opinions...?

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 9:28 AM, Gordon Henderson
<gordon+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 12 May 2011, Roland Tarver wrote:
>
>> It all sounds lovely, but - everything in "the cloud" :-s ??? Really?
>> Although I have no evidence or experience to prove it (except the
>> recent amazon outage) I just don't have a good gut "feeling" about all
>> my data (or mums, etc) in "the cloud"? Do you? Do others?
>
> Lots of news buzzing about on this recently - the Chrome Book, etc. the
> Register had an article on it some time back when they got the beta
> version (Cr-48)
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/12/14/google_chrome_os_cr_48/
>
> and reading today,
>
> http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2011/05/13/the_chromebook_proposition/
>
> it seems that there is now a local file-manager built into the OS - and that
> means local (or USB, etc.) storage. So it does look like it's going to be
> possible to get files out of the remote storage "cloud" and keep them
> locally - for backup, etc.

I think there should be at least an option like this for those who
are, ?understandably, cautious?

> Still doesnn't address the need for the application though - if that's
> hosted remotely, then you might have your data, but nothing to process it
> with! Keeping a local cache of application might work though, who knows!

Vendor lock in?

> I won't be rushing out to buy one, but have they released the software yet
> to allow people to install it on their own devices? It was something I did
> look into some time back (over a year), but never really put much effort
> into it. (Or is it just android with the chrome browser and a few local apps
> :)
>
> Gordon

http://url.drogon.net/r

Another persons opinion about this. Rightly or wrongly his thinking is
close to mine. It will be very interesting to see what people choose
to do in the coming years.... I guess time will tell....

Largely from Grants comments, I am going to have a look at google docs
- just to see what *I* would feel happy using it for. :-)

Many thanks to all those you commented.

Best wishes
roly :-)