Re: [LUG] Email clients for newbies

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 08:40:52 +0000
Neil Winchurst wrote:

> On 09/03/11 20:52, Grant Sewell wrote:
> >> On Wed, 9 Mar 2011 19:17:20 +0000
> >> Grant Sewell<dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
> >>
> > Old school, maybe... but not necessarily an inappropriate approach.
> >
> > Having said that, considering a significant portion of the GNOME
> > Shell is written in JavaScript, which is arguably a predominantly
> > web-orientated programming language... maybe the lines between "the
> > web" and unique, separate applications is diminishing.
> >
> > I have found that I am increasingly using browser-based tools for
> > many things, principally because I can have access to them at
> > pretty much everywhere.
> >
> > Grant.
> >
> Which last point is the reason that I use IMAP for all my emails. No
> need to use web mail for that.
>
> Neil

In no way am I saying that IMAP doesn't have its place.  I use IMAP on
my laptop, tablet and my phone.  However, as I work in an environment
where all access to the Internet is restricted unless your traffic goes
through the their HTTP proxy... needless to say, IMAP access doesn't
get the go ahead.  I used to host my own email and run my own IMAP/SMTP
server, and I used to tunnel IMAP through an SSH connection to
my home, but to be honest it got tedious.

I now have Google Apps hosting my mail.  I have IMAP access to it
(laptop, tablet and phone) and I have a usable (albeit rather peculiar)
webmail interface.  Some parts of the way Google handle email takes a
bit of getting used to, but ultimately it works and I'm more than happy
with it.

However, my point wasn't about making IMAP redundant... I was saying
that "using a browser" (or at least browser technology) is the way a
lot of things are heading.  The lines between the browser (or the web)
and the concept of applications is blurring.

Grant.