Re: [LUG] Email clients for newbies

On 09/03/11 15:56, Vivi Griffin wrote:

    I found your email client review very useful. In fact, I have been
    setting up a Windows 7 laptop for client and had the same problem -
    finding a simple, free email client. Outlook Express is no longer
    available. I didn't like the look of the replacement - Windows Live
    - which seems to be some sort of an online service - anyone used it?

    I think you may be right that there is only Thunderbird (for Windows
    & Linux) that is stable enough and simple enough beginners.However,
    Some people's requirements really are very basic and even
    Thunderbird may be too complex for some.

    Of course, those who use webmail don't really need to have an email
    client unless they need offline access to their emails. I don't
    bother with one myself and print any important emails to PDF for
    local storage / access.

    Viv

Nice to hear from you Viv. If requirements are really basic then I think that Sylpheed is as good as any. For me the main advantage of Tbird over Sylpheed is that it is easy to view pictures in HTML mail within the email itself. This is the reason that my wife prefers Tbird. She gets a lot of HTML mails with pictures.

I am still researching web mail programs. Not impressed so far.

Neil