Re: [LUG] Linux installations from MS that "stuck"

On 15/09/10 18:51, Dan Dart wrote:

> Personally I don't believe a word of it.

What would it take to convince you?

> There are a lot of servers about, and use on servers is from 60 to 90%
> so say reliable sources (like web software spiders)...

Yes but servers aren't desktops. If you want to include bots from my
webserver logs then yes there is a lot more Linux boxes accessing web
pages than 1% but they aren't on desktops.

> Usage on desktops, I've heard between 5 and 30% is a good estimate
> (remember the millions who just use Ubuntu).

How was the 5 to 30% number derived? If true one would have to explain
why visitors to the websites I'm reporting on are disproportionately
using Microsoft Windows compared to the general population of web surfers.

With about 1 billion PC users globally, with 1% there would be 10
million desktop users with GNU/Linux.

Debian has various estimates of their usage, but the one I took away
last time was around 2 million installations (1.5 million unique IPs
access security.debian.org last time data was published), with probably
~0.5 million desktop users. I dare say virtualisation has complicated
the definition of a server.....

Redhat claim of the order of a couple of million installations as well,
but they are mostly servers, they have less than 0.2 million calling
home regularly. They appear to get money for more servers than they can
reasonably account for, but I guess that is the kind of business you
want, and suggests a fair amount of backroom Redhat installs in places
that keep themselves to themselves (how very last millennium).

Canonical claim 12 million users but have never published the
methodology on how they arrive at that figure. Estimates from Mike H the
Iceweasel maintainer suggests that 4 to 6 million desktop users for
Ubuntu based on the same method that gives us 0.5 million desktop Debian
users. Until Canonical publish their methodology it is filed under
"marketing".

So 6M + 0.5M + 0.2M, means to get to 5% of desktop users we need to find
another 40 million plus Desktop Linux users from somewhere. Where?
Redflag Linux?

To get to 30% another 250 million Linux desktop users would have to be
found (roughly the population of Western Europe). I know the estimates
are rough and ready, but I doubt they overlook an entire continents
worth of GNU/Linux users.

> 1% in 2010 is a joke.

That is what my figures show and I have no specific reason to doubt they
are representative of English speaking computer users web surfing
habits. The 1.1% is based on the last weeks worth of data, 2.1 millions
hits, which represents over 80,000 distinct visitors visiting over 600
web sites on a wide variety of topics. Based on the uncertaining the
Wiki estimate of 1.33% looks very plausible.

I have access to much bigger sets of data, but since the figure is
consistent across a fairly large number of websites, and over a
reasonably long period of time, I don't see the point in analysing
larger samples unless someone can give evidence suggesting the data is
woefully wrong.

The DCGLUG website had 1792 unique visitors last week, and AT LEAST 1063
use a browser running on Microsoft Windows as indicated by their user
agent strings. Again a lot of uncertainty, some misclassification of
spiders in my stats, but seems fairly clear that on a website entirely
dedicated to GNU/Linux we see three to four times as many web visitors
using Microsoft Windows as using GNU/Linux for their desktop.

For some perspective Android phones are currently selling more per day
than the entire Redhat based desktop user base, it takes about a week to
sell as many new Android phones as Desktop Debian users. Ubuntu will be
overtaken in a few weeks (if it hasn't already), on current trends by
Christmas we should expect to see Android rivalling iOS in terms of
users. I don't think people do much general surfing on smart phones, it
is more focused - social networking, email, local information, stuff I
want to know now (i.e. Bus time tables etc), which explains why they are
minimal in most people's web based log files (although iOS is showing up
these days a bit).