Re: [LUG] Linux installations from MS that "stuck"

On 15/09/10 21:28, Simon Waters wrote:
How was the 5 to 30% number derived? If true one would have to explain
why visitors to the websites I'm reporting on are disproportionately
using Microsoft Windows compared to the general population of web surfers.

There aren't any reliable sources. Websites vary as Linux users would, say, go on Linux forums more than Windows users... Although the only 2 feasible methods are website stats and sales (sales aren't accurate either, especially for Linux). For example my website (which is small) reports 27% Linux users. Another website I maintain, which has roughly 4000 hits a day (according to Google Analytics) has nothing to do with technology and has Linux down as 5% - Windows 80% and Mac 10%. User agents also aren't reliable. I commonly have mine set to various different strings as I frequently test things.

I would guesstimate that Linux is at 2% (in the western world) in terms of desktop usage but we have no reliable stats as Linux is harder to keep track of then the rest. 30% is way out of proportion (and anything over 10% is probably laughable).

Gibbs