Re: [LUG] Linux installations from MS that "stuck"

On 15/09/10 13:26, Gibbs wrote:

> The myth of Linux having a low desktop user base (it
> has to be over 1% - surely!) also doesn't help to attract the money makers.

Unless everyone is spoofing their user agent strings in browsers Linux
share of traditional desktops in the English speaking world is around
1%, but it is incredibly unevenly distributed making accurate
measurement hard.

Techies - lots of GNU/Linux, some sites up to 40%, Chess players around
5%, general public 0.9% Linux (although there is considerably
uncertainty in the measurement), averages out at around 1.1%.

Basically the smarter and more knowledgeable about computers an audience
is the more GNU/Linux is used, whether that is cause or effect I leave
to the reader.

I'm basing most of that on a log file that collects data from over 600
websites with no obvious OS bias, although I have some chess specific
sites, and some techie sites. Nearly all these are in English or have an
English language bias, results for Brazil or China are likely to be
quite different.

We've had a lot of discussion of this in the past, so check the archive,
but the change in the last year has been pretty small. Of course web
browsing isn't the only thing people use computers for, and my data
shows little mobile phone usage for web browsing (which might be
different for say social networking sites with mobile phone features).

Wikipedia article claims 1.33% but their attribution is buried in the
article, which is easily within error bounds of my 1.1% since I have
some "unknown" to divvy up which would increase the 1.1% observed slightly.