Re: [LUG] Linux installations from MS that "stuck"

On 15/09/10 08:58, David Vanstone wrote:
> Hi
> Just a quick question, how many people do you think you have all
> converted from MS to Linux? And then how many people have moved back??
> What was the reason for them moving back?
>
> I'm just interested as out of all my installs, the ones that wanted MS
> back all wanted one thing... Itunes!
>
> There are 15 people around the Holsworthy area that I've now got to run
> Linux, was 18 but the 3 all went back dues to Itunes... The thing is out
> of the 15 that are still using Linux, about 12 of them said that they
> would use it if Apple released a Linux version... Apple are losing out
> me thinks!
>
> How many installs have you all done that have "stuck" and which ones
> haven't?
>

> Dave

Well hopefully now that we have some venues sorted out where we as a
group can start to push this issue further,  find out what the barriers
are and then advise accordingly

there has to be a website somewhere that helps with campaigning for
ports of applications,  in which case we should point people in that
direction adn get them to add their names to these lists,  it may seem
pointless to some, but if everyone did this,  for the apps they want,
then people like apple may sit up and listen,

however answering questions on itunes does give you a context to bring
up about drm and what this is, and what it means to people,  as I expect
many are unaware what drm means for freedom.

the biggest problem is trying to remember the names of applications that
are alternatives so we have

itunes - banshee
outlook calender - thunderbird lightning extension (people will want
help to get this installed)

Paul