Re: [LUG] Linux installations from MS that "stuck"

On 15/09/10 13:11, Chris Bunney wrote:
If Steam releases a native client for Linux, like they recently did
with Mac, then that would probably be enough for me to switch when I
had some spare time, but I don't see that happening any time soon,
unfortunately.

Valve also stated recently that the Linux client rumours were just that. I also don't see the point in using Virtual Machines if you can run Windows on another partition as, at the end of the day, you're running Windows regardless. The myth of Linux having a low desktop user base (it has to be over 1% - surely!) also doesn't help to attract the money makers.

Similar to the iTunes threads going around.. Do we really want all these closed source products coming to Linux? I know a lot of people would but it takes away the freedom that a good percentage of Linux users want and possesses other issues too.

Microsoft have also, over the past few years, been promoting DirectX and started labeling games as "Games for Windows". A lot of naive gamers think "Linux isn't good for gaming" which is obviously a load of tosh but as long as game developers continue to use DirectX it will continue that way. Linux cant compete with Microsoft marketing in areas such as games so I can't see any significant developments happening for a long time.

Gibbs