Re: [LUG] Linux Desktops can be Sexy ... Was : Make Ubuntu look like windows 7 - Ease the transition?

On Mon, 2010-08-23 at 22:22 +0100, David Vanstone wrote:

> Black 2 white style is the icon set, simple and clean :)

Ahh thanks, I'll have that installed later.

> . Glad u liked the desktop.

Just my opinion, which I prolly share too much ;)

> I'll try that with the .bash_aliases file, sound good! I
> have one of the launchers set to load gnome-terminal connected to the
> server but havent done one for the desktop terminal profile, thats why i
> typed lol.

Yeah its a useful file to pop commands you use a lot into, by adding the
"aliases" alias into it it makes it dead simple to new command quickly
into, I use nano rather than gedit in the command though

It can save a bunch of time I think, and makes long commands far more
manageable, heck I even had my simple addressbook/contact/notes manager
written in a couple of aliases in it ;)

> I totally agree with the gnome desktop, so simplistic, have almost got a
> 100% record for people i have switched to ubuntu/mint and have stayed on
> it. Only one moved back to 7... *cough* itunes... *cough* Apart from
> that she would still be a loyal user of linux! Most of the users are not
> what i would call gifted in computing either, so proves the point kinda
> that yes theming might help but is not necessary, still, nice work and i
> take my hat off the the person who spent the time creating it... good
> job! :P

Excellent conversion rate, probably gonna have to start calling you
Borg ;)

I just recently installed Mint on my mothers computer rather than Ubuntu
and install the extras like flash/java/mp3/dvd etc. Chose Mint just
because I didn't really have the time spare for the extra tweaking post
install, it certainly reduced the time for me on that front, though I am
sure I ended up using that again by having to show her the Mint menu.
She was having trouble with the fact it changes from Favourites and the
category views.  She isn't very computer savvy as you might guess, bless
her ;)

> anyway,
> conky,
> it works well, really well actuall but only over lan on ssh. Over wan it
> is very very laggy, bout 30 sec refresh rate, any ideas why this might
> happen? ive added -C but that doesnt help much... my connection is
> perfectly fast enough to upload some basic conky data from the server.

I don't have a clue really. I seldom run anything with a GUI from a
remote machine, I tried it once with Firefox (I did try Lynx/eLinks
first) when I needed a separate IP to cast a vote on something, it was
painfully slow.

--
John
http://subbass.blogspot.com/