Re: [LUG] Make Ubuntu look like windows 7 - Ease the transition?

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 11:13 AM, Grant Sewell <dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 11:05:18 +0100
> Roland Tarver wrote:
>
>> http://ubuntu.sun.ac.za/index.php?title=W7_Theme
>>
>> I would never do this in a million years (which is a long time) - but
>> it may help some people you know that are thinking about trying linux.
>>
>> Best wishes
>> Roly :-)
>
> I can see why it might be a tempting thought... make it look like W7
> and they'll find it easier.  But IMO since Linux IS different to
> Windows, it does not help anyone to visually convince themselves
> otherwise.
>
> Someone who's been given an Ubuntu system that's had this W7 makeover
> may initially not notice, but they'll soon remember when then try and
> do something Windowsy (like run a virus ;D)
>
> Personally, I'm all for glitz and glamour (so long as it doesn't
> detract from making the machine usable) but on our own terms.
> Imitation may be the best form of flattery, but I think Linux can hold
> its own against W7 and Mac on the glitz and glamour front.
>
> Grant.

I agree totally. Like I said - not in a million years - lol. Thought
it might be useful for some of the remaining doubters.

Speaking of glitz...

http://maketecheasier.com/10-of-the-best-linux-desktop-customization-screenshots-to-inspire-your-creativity/2008/11/28

Shows off some impressive features. Not that I use them, but they do
seem to make windows users take note ;-)

Have a good day.
Roly :-)