Re: [LUG] Linux Desktops can be Sexy ... Was : Make Ubuntu look like windows 7 - Ease the transition?

On 23/08/10 14:34, Grant Sewell wrote:
On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 14:23:42 +0100
John wrote:

On Mon, 2010-08-23 at 13:58 +0100, Roland Tarver wrote:

You can see better on just about any page of the monthly
screenshot thread in Ubuntuforums; Augusts is located here :
Nice photo :-)

I had to check what you meant then, as it should have linked to the
start of the August screenshot thread, and it does. That first desktop
does have a nice photo on you are right.  I rarely use photo's on my
own desktop and even less so landscape ones, I think I just find them
too distracting or "cluttered", I do love nice landscape shots
though; just not on my desktop ;)

Each to their own of course, taste is not universal or even
present going by some of the shots in the second link ;)
I never said I actually liked the look of the desktops (though i
think some a pretty good). Rather, I was pointing out the
"features" such as docks and cubes etc that the linux desktop is
capable of - which has made a few windows user friends of mine take
note.

Ahh, I see. Then yes they do show the docks and nice Conky configs.

May as well show a couple of my own desktops from recent times:
http://img9.imageshack.us/f/screenshot057q.png/

Similar, and this is what turned into the Orange one above:
http://img687.imageshack.us/i/screenshot055h.png/

And something from a while ago:
http://img196.imageshack.us/f/subbassjuly09slickness.png/

And yes I now expect that lack of taste comment from earlier to come
and bite my backside ;)
Alas, my desktop is deliberately boring.  A simple B&W SVG image of my
company logo on a plain black background.  No icons on the desktop at
all. A dark theme throughout.  3 Gnome panels - top has App/Places/Sys
as per Ubuntu's default; system monitor applet; notification area (I
removed the Ubuntuified "me menu", etc; time/date; and logout button.
Bottom panel has "show desktop"; window list; CPU frequency scaling
applet; temperature applet; workspace switcher; force-quit&  trash.
Right panel has various launchers for apps I use regularly.

Clean.  Effective.  Boring. :D
Effective - but that means you get to say what your computer does and not someone else!
Ridiculous idea! Never catch on!
Tom te tom te tom