Re: [LUG] Linux Desktops can be Sexy ... Was : Make Ubuntu look like windows 7 - Ease the transition?

John wrote:
On Mon, 2010-08-23 at 20:42 +0100, David Vanstone wrote:

Lush desktops John, still a bit of a linux noob compared to most of you here tbh so go easy lol here a screeny of mine, finally getting some uptime on the old server in the attic again, damn power kept cutting out for some reason :P Oh and i do have an unhealthy obsession with gnome-do... must move to awn for my dock really

Not a bad looking desktop, desktop icons aren't my thing and I am trying
to think what icon set that is, it escapes me right now. I know I like
it and I've not got it installed right now, and I want to rectify that
asap :)

Don't change from Gnome Do if its working for you, I used it a long time
and its very good, pointless changing just because everyone else uses
Awn ;)

Very clever use of Conky reporting from the server, I don't think I've
seen that done before.

I notice you type out the ssh connection in the terminal to your server,
if you add a .bash-aliases file in ~/ you can then add a line like :

alias sshserver="ssh - X -C server@xxxxxxxxxxx"

save some typing :]

Chuck in :
alias aliases='gedit ~/.bash_aliases'
For good measure too ;)
http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae232/davavanstone/Screenshotwood.png

As for the Win7 theme, i do like it, and yes it could help the transition for people moving from 7 to ubuntu etc but i think stick to the simple taskbar at the bottom and my documents for the not too computer savvy and all will be fine

Yeah I've not encountered anyone yet that can't get used to the normal
Gnome menu, its clean, simple and well organised. The wife and my mother
both prefer Gnome and find it simpler for example.

Black 2 white style is the icon set, simple and clean :) . Glad u liked the desktop. I'll try that with the .bash_aliases file, sound good! I have one of the launchers set to load gnome-terminal connected to the server but havent done one for the desktop terminal profile, thats why i typed lol. I totally agree with the gnome desktop, so simplistic, have almost got a 100% record for people i have switched to ubuntu/mint and have stayed on it. Only one moved back to 7... *cough* itunes... *cough* Apart from that she would still be a loyal user of linux! Most of the users are not what i would call gifted in computing either, so proves the point kinda that yes theming might help but is not necessary, still, nice work and i take my hat off the the person who spent the time creating it... good job! :P

anyway,
conky,
it works well, really well actuall but only over lan on ssh. Over wan it is very very laggy, bout 30 sec refresh rate, any ideas why this might happen? ive added -C but that doesnt help much... my connection is perfectly fast enough to upload some basic conky data from the server.

Dave