Re: [LUG] Make Ubuntu look like windows 7 - Ease the transition?

On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 11:05:18 +0100
Roland Tarver wrote:

> http://ubuntu.sun.ac.za/index.php?title=W7_Theme
>
> I would never do this in a million years (which is a long time) - but
> it may help some people you know that are thinking about trying linux.
>
> Best wishes
> Roly :-)

I can see why it might be a tempting thought... make it look like W7
and they'll find it easier.  But IMO since Linux IS different to
Windows, it does not help anyone to visually convince themselves
otherwise.

Someone who's been given an Ubuntu system that's had this W7 makeover
may initially not notice, but they'll soon remember when then try and
do something Windowsy (like run a virus ;D)

Personally, I'm all for glitz and glamour (so long as it doesn't
detract from making the machine usable) but on our own terms.
Imitation may be the best form of flattery, but I think Linux can hold
its own against W7 and Mac on the glitz and glamour front.

Grant.