[LUG] Linux Desktops can be Sexy ... Was : Make Ubuntu look like windows 7 - Ease the transition?

On Mon, 2010-08-23 at 13:58 +0100, Roland Tarver wrote:

> > You can see better on just about any page of the monthly screenshot
> > thread in Ubuntuforums; Augusts is located here :
> > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1543427
>
> Nice photo :-)

I had to check what you meant then, as it should have linked to the
start of the August screenshot thread, and it does. That first desktop
does have a nice photo on you are right.  I rarely use photo's on my own
desktop and even less so landscape ones, I think I just find them too
distracting or "cluttered", I do love nice landscape shots though; just
not on my desktop ;)

> > Each to their own of course, taste is not universal or even present
> > going by some of the shots in the second link ;)
>
> I never said I actually liked the look of the desktops (though i think
> some a pretty good). Rather, I was pointing out the "features" such as
> docks and cubes etc that the linux desktop is capable of - which has
> made a few windows user friends of mine take note.

Ahh, I see. Then yes they do show the docks and nice Conky configs.

May as well show a couple of my own desktops from recent times:
http://img9.imageshack.us/f/screenshot057q.png/

Similar, and this is what turned into the Orange one above:
http://img687.imageshack.us/i/screenshot055h.png/

And something from a while ago:
http://img196.imageshack.us/f/subbassjuly09slickness.png/

And yes I now expect that lack of taste comment from earlier to come and
bite my backside ;)

--
John
http://subbass.blogspot.com/