Re: [LUG] move user data and settings to new hard disk

On 15/06/10 01:56, Rhia Knowles wrote:
Yeah if your planning to distro hop, a seperate /home partition is the
way to go, IMO.

You need to tell the installer where to set /home to at the disk
partitioning stage, pointing at the partition in question but telling
it NOT TO FORMAT it.

Then your documents, photos and stuff just sit there untouched through
distro after distro. :)

Although it's good to have a backup or two just in case. It's not that hard to setup a udev script to detect a USB hard drive/pen drive/whatever being plugged in and have it run an automatic backup. :-)

Saying that, I can't remember the last time I made a backup, probably about 6 weeks ago.

Rob