Re: [LUG] move user data and settings to new hard disk

paul sutton wrote:

> i want to move user data from the first hard disk to the accounts on the
> 2nd hard disk, can sonmeone help me with regard to the best way to do this,

What is wrong with mounting the old disk under a temporary partition and
copying "/home" ?

You want to ensure that the UIDs are the same, you can do that with a
simple "find" command invoking chown if needed, or just use usermod to
set the UIDs right on the targer machine before starting.

i.e. if the UID of simon on the old machine is 109. Make sure the UID of
simon on the new machine is 109 before mounting and copying /home.

 Simon