Re: [LUG] move user data and settings to new hard disk

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 9:55 PM, Simon Waters <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

<snip>

> The first complication is keeping UIDs and GIDs in sync, which isn't
> that hard if you only have one or two users.
>
> The second is that many apps aren't downwardly compatible, so if one
> distro uses Firefox 3.5 and one 3.1, and you update your firefox
> settings, it may not even start in another.
>
> But I'd have thought try out the distro, see if it is any good, before
> you start shuffling the fiddly things like mail config, browser settings
> etc, into the distro.
>
> 90+% of what you need to know about a distro is found out in installing
> it, and checking what applications they bundle. Of course if what you
> find out by installing the distro is that the installer ate your data
> partition you might not be a very happy bunny.
>
> Me I just install new distros I'm interested in on an old computer and
> give it a bash for a few hours, given people give away better computers
> than the one I've used for this for years this doesn't have to be a
> luxury activity.

Thanks for the advice. My plan sounds like an un-necessary hassle,
lol! I will do as you do and get an old computer for the task. Just
need to get through all the uni work and then I _really_ want to give
Debian a spin......

Thank you :-)
Roly