Re: [LUG] move user data and settings to new hard disk

On 14/06/10 23:47, Paul Sutton wrote:

Hi Rob :-)

That also sounds a good way of trying distro's out. Again...a
conversation for another occasion. Perhaps I can have a chat to you
and Gordon at a meeting in the near future. I do think user data on a
separate partition sounds sensible though? If nothing else for backup
purposes and assuming the pitfalls Simon mentions are not too bad. We
shall see...

The data IS on a separate partition on the first hard disk, only for
some reason the 10.04 didn't pick this up, i didn't create a /home
partition on the 2nd hard disk for this reason, as i thought the 10.04
installer would find that I have user accounts / data and ask if i
wanted to use that.

Perhaps I missed something in the install.

Paul

Yep, there is an option to mount existing partitions but you need to choose one of the custom partitioning options.

You're probably going to have to edit your fstab file. It might be easier to do this from a live CD.

Basically open the fstab file from both installations, you should see on the second hard drive fstab file it should point /home to either a UUID (UUID=99f5b2df-029e-45a6-8be2-219ad3f51530 for instance) or to a partition such as /dev/sdb2

Copy this line from the one fstab file to the other and save it (remember to make a backup of the fstab file first). Then when you reboot it should pick up the /home partition on the second drive.

I'd beware though if you want to run 9.x and 10.x, you might find that differences in some of the applications may break settings (for instance going from Thunderbird 2 to Thunderbird 3 or Firefox 3.0 to Firefox 3.6 might upgrade some settings files and no longer work on the older version of Ubuntu).

If in any doubt, either don't do it or make a backup of your home directory first.

Rob