Re: [LUG] move user data and settings to new hard disk

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 9:17 PM, Simon Waters <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> paul sutton wrote:
>>
>> i want to move user data from the first hard disk to the accounts on the
>> 2nd hard disk, can sonmeone help me with regard to the best way to do this,
>
> What is wrong with mounting the old disk under a temporary partition and
> copying "/home" ?

I am sure the above step is correct but I don't understand it :-s
Please could you explain?...

Is it really necessary to create a temporary _partition_, in which to
mount the old disk? Many thanks.

> You want to ensure that the UIDs are the same, you can do that with a
> simple "find" command invoking chown if needed, or just use usermod to
> set the UIDs right on the targer machine before starting.
>
> i.e. if the UID of simon on the old machine is 109. Make sure the UID of
> simon on the new machine is 109 before mounting and copying /home.
>
>  Simon

Recently I have been thinking about which distros to try. I am likely
to try out several. To facility this I was planning to keep data and
distro on separate partitions. If this is a credible idea(?), then
perhaps Paul may want to do the same and not combine your data and
distro in the same partition?

Of course, I could be totally wrong. I blame the study ;-) haha!

Best wishes
Roly :-)