Re: [LUG] OT ish: Anyone here live in Newton Abbot around Shaldon Road area?

On 03/06/10 16:59, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Thu, 3 Jun 2010, Rob Beard wrote:

I know Eclipse have unbunded the NA exchange, although I guess that
doesn't specifically mean they have a POP in the Exchange.

Eclipse? (ie. Kingston?) I didn't know they were in the LLU game yet...

 From Sam Knows:

http://www.samknows.com/old/broadband/exchange.php?ecode=WWNABB

AOL, O2/Be, C&W/Bulldog, Sky, TalkTalk(CPW) & Tiscali are the only
unbundled ones I can see..

Unless Eclipse/Kingston is reseling C&W or something like that...

Yeah sorry got a bit confused, it's been a long day. I was on about Easynet (who IIRC from the Palm days are bloody expensive!).

And of that lot, I'n not personally trust any of them for business...

I wouldn't trust Tiscalli or AOL, hang on they're owned by Talktalk now :-D

Not sure about C&W/Bulldog, I've heard mixed things, and O2, well they're fine for my mum's home broadband, but not sure what I'd think of them for business class broadband.

At one point this ISP (good friends of mine) had (cheap!) fixed-rate
deals for 2Mb lines to their POP in London from anywhere in England too
- not sure if they're still doing that though, or if they've moved to
10/100Mb circuits...

Interesting. I have a feeling though we'll probably stick with ADSL
until BT provide something quicker although I have e-mailed the
company across the road to see what they currently have.

Get in a 10Mb line and sell them connectivity via a wireless bridge (not
Wi-Fi, but a proper one) :-)

Funny you should say that, we're just a stones throw away from Milber Trading Estate. I drove up there to see what businesses were around and there are one or two reasonable sized ones (Pasta King, Roadform to name two).

I thought it might be of some interest to other folks on the list
anyway as it sounds like it's not that excessive to get something like
this installed if there is enough interest and fibre already
available. It sounds like to make it viable for them without having to
spend so much they would need around 700 subscribers on a line.

Getting people to pay is the hard part - that's partly how the Wi-Fi
broadband system I build failed - we had 150 people who promosed to
pay... Then when we went commercial only 50 actually put their hands in
their pocket. Get cash up-from and a yearly contract is what I say!!!

Yeah, shame really. I guess the likes of BT and Virgin can invest the
money to do things like this (kinda of like the build it and they will
come idea). It's a shame really, Rutland seemed happy enough to
provide the service if someone would stump up the cash, but with so
few subscribers I guess it's economically un-viable. I guess this
might be the issue for some of the more rural villages too.

They only seem to invest the money when prodded with a suitable sharp
stick...

Still - will be intersting to see what happens with Rutland - my fear is
that someone is going to be out of pocket big-time at the end of the day...

Yep, I hear they're also rolling out some FTTC in Wales now. I did also look at Fibrestream which are said to be rolling out FTTP and "FiWi" (I gather fibre to a cabinet or something with Wireless on the other end?) in Hull, then there's a company in Bournemouth who are putting fibre down the sewers (Google TISP anyone?).

Thinking of other options - you're up the hill a bit, so probably in
near line of sight to the centre of town, so if you could get someone in
town with a good ADSL2+ connection or 2, then a proper wireless bridge
from the roof, you might be in with a good change - trouble is the
wirelss bridges are expensive - the Orthogon (now motorola) ones I used
some time back were getting on for £20K for a pair. 300Mb non line of
sight though...

Hmmm, pricey but I guess if it turns out we do need faster BB then maybe it's an option.

Rob