Re: [LUG] OT ish: Anyone here live in Newton Abbot around Shaldon Road area?

On Thu, 3 Jun 2010, Rob Beard wrote:

I know Eclipse have unbunded the NA exchange, although I guess that doesn't specifically mean they have a POP in the Exchange.

Eclipse? (ie. Kingston?) I didn't know they were in the LLU game yet...

From Sam Knows:

  http://www.samknows.com/old/broadband/exchange.php?ecode=WWNABB

AOL, O2/Be, C&W/Bulldog, Sky, TalkTalk(CPW) & Tiscali are the only unbundled ones I can see..

Unless Eclipse/Kingston is reseling C&W or something like that...

And of that lot, I'n not personally trust any of them for business...

At one point this ISP (good friends of mine) had (cheap!) fixed-rate
deals for 2Mb lines to their POP in London from anywhere in England too
- not sure if they're still doing that though, or if they've moved to
10/100Mb circuits...

Interesting. I have a feeling though we'll probably stick with ADSL until BT provide something quicker although I have e-mailed the company across the road to see what they currently have.

Get in a 10Mb line and sell them connectivity via a wireless bridge (not Wi-Fi, but a proper one) :-)

I thought it might be of some interest to other folks on the list
anyway as it sounds like it's not that excessive to get something like
this installed if there is enough interest and fibre already
available. It sounds like to make it viable for them without having to
spend so much they would need around 700 subscribers on a line.

Getting people to pay is the hard part - that's partly how the Wi-Fi
broadband system I build failed - we had 150 people who promosed to
pay... Then when we went commercial only 50 actually put their hands in
their pocket. Get cash up-from and a yearly contract is what I say!!!

Yeah, shame really. I guess the likes of BT and Virgin can invest the money to do things like this (kinda of like the build it and they will come idea). It's a shame really, Rutland seemed happy enough to provide the service if someone would stump up the cash, but with so few subscribers I guess it's economically un-viable. I guess this might be the issue for some of the more rural villages too.

They only seem to invest the money when prodded with a suitable sharp stick...

Still - will be intersting to see what happens with Rutland - my fear is that someone is going to be out of pocket big-time at the end of the day...

Thinking of other options - you're up the hill a bit, so probably in near line of sight to the centre of town, so if you could get someone in town with a good ADSL2+ connection or 2, then a proper wireless bridge from the roof, you might be in with a good change - trouble is the wirelss bridges are expensive - the Orthogon (now motorola) ones I used some time back were getting on for £20K for a pair. 300Mb non line of sight though...

Gordon