Re: [LUG] OT ish: Anyone here live in Newton Abbot around Shaldon Road area?

On 03/06/10 16:14, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Thu, 3 Jun 2010, Rob Beard wrote:

I'm going to speak to a couple of businesses in the area and see if
there would be any interest as the costs they're looking at are in the
region of £50k (probably because there is fibre already there so they
don't have to put as much in). Then there is the issue of planning
permission (the cabinet is about a foot bigger than a BT cabinet).

It's never stopped BT charging in the past... And they've refused to run
data for different customers down the same fibre run in the past...

It would probably be cheaper to run your own leased line from an ISP in
(e.g.) Bristol to the cabinet and distribute it from there.

However if you want to unbundle your own cabinet, then you need planning
permission from the council, the actual cabinet and workmen to dig it
in, electricity to the cabinet, UPSs to keep it going, then BT will
charge a lift & shift for each customer you wire in - and I'm told it
must be done by a BT open reach engineer...

Price wise - last 10Mb circuit I put in in Bristol (a year ago) was:

10M un-contended Internet connection,

Connection £2505.00
Annual Rental £8500.00

20Mb un-contended Internet connection on 100Mb bearer

Connection £4755.00
Annual Rental £9900.00

Now that's in Bristol and the fibre run was only a few miles and there
are more operators than BT who'll sell you dark fibre - what you really
pay for is distance, (both in setup and line rentals) so it would be
intersting to see what the quote would be for NA to Bristol :) It would
be better if there was an ISP with a POP in NA, but I fear that's
unlikely - maybe Exeter, but I only know of one - soon as you get to
Bristol you're spoilt for choice.

I know Eclipse have unbunded the NA exchange, although I guess that doesn't specifically mean they have a POP in the Exchange.

At one point this ISP (good friends of mine) had (cheap!) fixed-rate
deals for 2Mb lines to their POP in London from anywhere in England too
- not sure if they're still doing that though, or if they've moved to
10/100Mb circuits...

Interesting. I have a feeling though we'll probably stick with ADSL until BT provide something quicker although I have e-mailed the company across the road to see what they currently have.

I thought it might be of some interest to other folks on the list
anyway as it sounds like it's not that excessive to get something like
this installed if there is enough interest and fibre already
available. It sounds like to make it viable for them without having to
spend so much they would need around 700 subscribers on a line.

Getting people to pay is the hard part - that's partly how the Wi-Fi
broadband system I build failed - we had 150 people who promosed to
pay... Then when we went commercial only 50 actually put their hands in
their pocket. Get cash up-from and a yearly contract is what I say!!!

Yeah, shame really. I guess the likes of BT and Virgin can invest the money to do things like this (kinda of like the build it and they will come idea). It's a shame really, Rutland seemed happy enough to provide the service if someone would stump up the cash, but with so few subscribers I guess it's economically un-viable. I guess this might be the issue for some of the more rural villages too.

Rob