[LUG] OT ish: Anyone here live in Newton Abbot around Shaldon Road area?

Hi folks,

I've just spoken to someone at Rutland Telecom about their FTTC options. It was quite an interesting conversation too. Basically I've got some fibre running into a building (okay it's being used at the moment for ISDN, but that's another matter) and I posted a week or so ago on the ThinkBroadband site to ask if it could be used for anything other than ISDN.

Anyway, Rutland Telecom got in touch and I've finally spoken to someone. It seems that they could possibly use it but to make it viable they'd need either a shed load of customers or a big investment.

As it turns out the nearest cabinet to where the fibre is only provides BT lines to about 40 odd customers, and I doubt 40 odd customers would want to spend in the region of a grand each to get up to 40Meg broadband, especially since Eurobell cabled most of the area a few years back (which now I guess can support up to 50Mbit broadband with faster speeds on the way).

It sounds like the cabinet is on Twickenham road in Newton Abbot, so I wondered if there was anyone on the list in this area?

I'm going to speak to a couple of businesses in the area and see if there would be any interest as the costs they're looking at are in the region of £50k (probably because there is fibre already there so they don't have to put as much in). Then there is the issue of planning permission (the cabinet is about a foot bigger than a BT cabinet).

I thought it might be of some interest to other folks on the list anyway as it sounds like it's not that excessive to get something like this installed if there is enough interest and fibre already available. It sounds like to make it viable for them without having to spend so much they would need around 700 subscribers on a line.

Rob