Re: [LUG] Meeting clarity

On 08/05/10 13:40, John Williams wrote:
On Sat, 2010-05-08 at 13:26 +0100, Rob Beard wrote:

Hence why DansGuardian is a good idea, it checks the pages as they are
downloaded.  Porn sites tend to have something embedded in the page so
content filters such as DansGuardian, NetNanny etc detect the sort of
content and block them.  DansGuardian also has keyword and URL filters
too (although I believe the URL filters require lists to be installed,
some of which are available free for personal use).

Is DansGaurdian fairly simple to whitelist "good" sites on, I prefer the
idea of blacklisting everything, and only whitelisting specific sites.

I shall have a google after the meeting about that, I certainly am not
as happy with Glubble as I once was.

That is another good option I guess. What I tend to do is set the proxy in Firefox (and Internet Explorer on the wife's PC) and lock down the settings so the kids can't change them on a per-user basis, although the other option would be to have a transparent proxy (so not settings to worry about and everything goes through the proxy).

Rob