Re: [LUG] Meeting clarity

On 08/05/10 12:09, Paul Sutton wrote:

Either way, I am happy to get out of the house once a month and chat to
folks. I have two "mums" from the school that are interested in Linux to
replace their buggered Windows installs, not sure they would be
interested in meetings so much at a later date, but you never know.

In other news, the CD's I did look great, almost professional :]

Could be,  you could look in to things like debian jnr,  edubuntu, or
other distributions aimed at children / education
one note is that i think mint has content filtering built in a big plus,
as parents may be concerned about on line content.

Looks like Mint does have a content filter available...

http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=350

Not fool proof though. Might be enough to do simple blocking but teenagers tend to know of proxy sites that they can access stuff from.

To be honest Ubuntu Christian Edition have a better idea implementing DansGuardian in the distro. Maybe distros should include an easy way of installing and configuring DansGuardian.

Or... maybe parents can keep an eye on what their kids are accessing for instance by putting the computer in the lounge so they can keep an eye on what they're looking at.

That's what we've done. Although my kids have a PC in their bedroom, they don't have any internet access on it, I've also implemented DansGuardian for when my eldest step-daughter comes round with her laptop, and my other step-daughters use their mum's PC when they come to visit (which is in our front room so we can keep an eye on what they're doing).

Perhaps someone on the list can comment further.

See above :-)

as these meetings are generally informal there is no hard sell involved
you can simply go through various options available,  however if the
came along and discussed what they would be looking for, you can then
see if its possible to put on something more taylored to people with
specific needs.

I agree, it might be a case of they have an older spare PC which they want to use which might benefit from a more lightweight distro, or maybe they want to dual boot etc?

Rob