Re: [LUG] Meeting clarity

On 08/05/10 12:37, John Williams wrote:
On Sat, 2010-05-08 at 12:24 +0100, Rob Beard wrote:

Or... maybe parents can keep an eye on what their kids are accessing for
instance by putting the computer in the lounge so they can keep an eye
on what they're looking at.

The kids only have their computer in the front room, in my line of
sight. Even so, when around at my parents without Glubble on, the lad
went to google and entered "swinging games" as a search term, to try and
find the Tarzan game he had  played at school. Thankfully my mum was on
the ball and spotted he was on Google. Glubble got installed on a
profile there pretty fast too ;)

Either way, 20secs is all it takes before they see something they
shouldn't. And you can't make them un-see it after. You can be careful,
but "parenting" alone isn't enough. As I am sure you know, and not what
you mean to imply ;)

Hence why DansGuardian is a good idea, it checks the pages as they are downloaded. Porn sites tend to have something embedded in the page so content filters such as DansGuardian, NetNanny etc detect the sort of content and block them. DansGuardian also has keyword and URL filters too (although I believe the URL filters require lists to be installed, some of which are available free for personal use).

I must admit it is so easy for the kids to stumble across something they shouldn't. Take Youtube for instance, while a lot of the content is perfectly okay, occasionally my step-daughter will watch something which I would consider okay for her age but totally inappropriate for my younger kids.

Rob