Re: [LUG] New router

On 30/04/10 08:15, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Fri, 30 Apr 2010, Rob Beard wrote:

On 29/04/10 22:52, Eion MacDonald wrote:
On 29/04/2010 20:25, Julian Hall wrote:
me: Uh, no in kilobytes?
cmr: How do I find out?

Ah ha! memories
One company I worked with in 1995 had all traffic locked. Company
systems down.
A director had tried to send a document, over 60MB in size, and his
comment. "email is to send documents isn't it!".
In those days we had to have ISP disengage the account, destroy and then
restart!
Educate users to know how they can play before giving them toys with
which to play.

I had that recently, well about a year ago with a customer. They
wondered why their holiday snaps didn't send (all 600MB of them!).

Well they would send, just not very quickly on a 1 Meg ADSL line with
256Kbit upload (of which 128Kbit was already used).

It's an interesting conundrum... But I think it mostly boils down to
lack of education (or wanting to learn). Your average consumer these
days can have a 10mp camera producing 3-4MB image files, email, and
broadband, and has never been told anything about the time/size factor
in it all. Some email system still limit incoming emails to 10MB in size
(bt/yahoo?) I actually restrict my own emails to 50MB after some
problems I had a while back and don't get me started on customer email
systems and Outlook... Got some clients whos pop3 times out even when
they're on an 8Mb line due to the amount of email they get from friends
who think nothing of attaching videos...

Ah well, and they say that's progress for you...

Gordon

Yep, I advised them to either send them on CD or put them on a photo sharing service such as Flickr (since they were sending the photos to multiple people).

Unfortunately sometimes even whacking the users with a clue bat didn't work.

Rob