Re: [LUG] ubuntu courses

On 30/04/10 08:06, tom wrote:
Rob Beard wrote:
On 30/04/10 07:01, tom wrote:
Paul Sutton wrote:

Talking of Ubuntu courses

http://ubuntu-manual.org/

printed it costs £6.17 which isn't bad really

I think its worth it,

anyway also downloadable for free, (pdf) however LaTeX was used to
write
the book as far as I am aware anyway.
now if they'd done it in HTML....
Tom te tom te tom

Nah, ASCII text, no... punch cards.

Rob

Now that would be going backwards - HTML is a lot more useful than PDF.
You only need to print the install bit with html - you can read the rest
online after that - or would be able to if it was in html but you'd have
to print the PDF cos its not suitable for reading on modern equipment
called a computer - you'ld need to buy a drmed e-reader for that.
Tom te tom te tom

Strange, I managed to open it fine on Ubuntu using the open source evince, didn't need to install any extra bits at all. I can even open it on my mobile phone (okay I don't want to, but I've got the option, and it's quicker than HTML on my phone).

As Paul mentioned too, the source is available in LaTex format, so if you wish you can grab the source and convert it to HTML.

Rob