Re: [LUG] New router

On 29/04/2010 16:29, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> They block all 3rd party VoIP (as do most other routers with built-in
> VoIP - but most of them make it easy to turn it off!)

1. Not true for VoIP.

I use Skype, extensively for all communications to China and Far/Middle
East.
If Skype is not VoIP then I don't know what definition you could use.
PS Skype over both SuSE and MS Win OSs (depends on computer)

2. If any ISP uses BT wholesale, they cannot improve on the BT wire
limit and in this village it is the age of the old 1960s cheap steel
coated with copper in last cabinet to house wire that determines
performance.

3. I understand BT Retail is only a customer of BT wholesale/BT
infrastructure  but it is the infrastructure the wire/distance from
exchange that is the limit irrespective of ISP.

4. My speeds are adequate  for all normal business needs.
I am not a consumer of video/entertainment but do shift large CAD  files
to and from other countries.

--
Regards
Eion MacDonald