Re: [LUG] New router

Gordon Henderson wrote:
>> Re HomeHub reply
>
> You (and everyone else) has a choice of over 100 ISPs from *every*
> Telephone exchange in the country (Hull excepted). All these ISPs use
> the BT Wholesale network, but only one of them is BT Retail - and BT
> retail is one of the worst ISPs in my books (another reason to stop me
> working with a customer - even if they choose the business package from
> BT retail, it's still worse than basic packages from other ISPs)
>

> So where does that leave us - it basically boils down to how much you're
> willing to pay to get a good quality Internet connection. Pick 2 of
> these three: Speed, Low-Cost, Reliability. You'll never get all three.
> Personally, I go with Speed and Reliability, and I insist my customers
> do the same. I pay £25.75 + VAT a month for my Internet (plus a BT phone
> bill of about £12 a month for the copper to carry the ADSL on). I know
> that's out of the reach of most consumers and the big companies know
> that too, so they squeeze you and dangle tempting packages in-front of
> you - phone, line rental, broadband, etc. all bundled into one - and I
> have to say, for the average consumer, it's very attractive, however ...
> You get what you pay for...

I've cut a lot, but I did find it interesting. Thanks. I have said this
before but, having a private company (with shareholders) running the
phone network for a western European country?  Absolutely crazy. This is
the main reason, in my personal opinion, that we are so far behind other
countries in the EU.

I have certainly learned a lot from your email. A shame that you are too
far away to come to our next Holsworthy meeting on 8th May. But it would
be a useful topic to discuss.

Thanks

Neil