Re: [LUG] Laptop as a desktop replacement

Neil Winchurst wrote:
tom wrote:
Also, recently on the lug mailing list there was some discussion about
claiming windows licensing fees back, if you are not going to use it.
So you may want to investigate that too?

Roly

But Dell say w7 is free so no refund there.
I'd avoid them on principle
Tom te tom te tom

I have already decided to steer clear of Dell.

Neil

getting £30 back for not clicking the windows eula is just a distraction. Don't bother getting involved. It may give you a nice feeling of ideological one-up-person-ship, but it is a pain for all involved - you (your time which may be worth money), the salesperson (who doesn't know or care one way or the other), the people in the dell (or whoever) call centre etc etc. It does nothing for you financialy and just makes linux users look like stalinist geeks.

Anyhow my first suggestion would be to look at these small PC's which clip on the back of a screen. But if you don't like the look of these and your use of a PC is mail, browsing, photos and a few other things look at netbooks instead of laptops.

The latest eeepc has an atom chip, 1GB, a 180GB harddisc, a 10 inch screen and costs about £230. It's a great machine, though a bit small for me to use all the time.

http://uk.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=O2gIMUVTCKmZUZt5

Simon