Re: [LUG] Laptop as a desktop replacement

On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 8:45 AM, michael mortimore
<nospamformike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 22 April 2010 16:21, NW <barnaby@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Rob Beard wrote:

>>> Ahh, in that case I can't really help much.  Doing a quick search of
>>> Dell's site (under Home) it lists a Dell Studio 17 laptop from £579.
>>>
>>> It's also worth bearing in mind, 17" laptops are VERY heavy.
>>>
>> Yes, I realise that. Since my idea is to replace the desktop computer
>> any laptop I buy will be treated like one. That is, it will normally be
>> sat on a desk or table and left there more or less permanently. So
>> weight is not really relevant.
> In that case, I know Dell used to do 20" laptops. I'm not sure if they
> still do. I did want one but I decided to be cheap and get a desktop
> and netbook instead.
>
> Can't remember if you've said what you tend to do on your computer,
> but for me anyway desktop replacement means gaming laptop.  Last time
> I looked around, Alienware and Novatech had 17" laptops with specs I
> liked.  Unfortunately I didn't like the prices, hence my decision to
> go desktop and netbook.

Hi Neil,

I bought the following 18" HP laptop about 18 months ago. Its been
running ubuntu 9.04 very well ever since.

http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptops/hp-hdx-18.aspx

(sorry site in $)

It is a nice laptop and i have had no problems whatsoever. There must
be a more up to date version about now.

It does get quite hot (I assume within normal tolerances). I need to
get some sort of cooling stand for it I think, Or perhaps just a big
lump of metal to act as a heat sink lol.

best wishes
roly