Re: [LUG] Laptop as a desktop replacement

Rob Beard wrote:
> Okay, well before any shouts, yes I know this machine I'm going to
> recommend is running Windows 7... however I do know it runs Ubuntu fine.
>  My step-father recently bought one and I installed Ubuntu 9.10 for him...
>
> http://tinyurl.com/28vkmdx
>
> It's an Acer Extensa 5635Z notebook, it has a 15.6" widescreen LED
> backlit screen with a resolution of something like 1366x768.  It has 2GB
> Ram and a 250GB hard drive.  The CPU is a Pentium Dual Core T4300 which
> is 2.1GHz with 1MB Cache.  No I know as well some people bad mouth the
> Pentium Dual Core and Celeron Dual Core CPUs, but this little machine
> was NEARLY as quick as my Core 2 Duo @ 2GHz.
>
> It has Intel onboard graphics which work out of the box (even with
> Compiz).  It's not really going to be a serious performer for 3D games
> but for internet, e-mail and office type stuff I'm sure it would be fine.
>
> I gather it is possible to get a refund on Windows from Acer.  I believe
> their repair centre is in Plympton and you have to send the machine to
> them so they can confirm the drive is wiped and so they can remove the
> Windows license sticker (god knows why as Windows activates from a
> standard Acer key and authenticates against a signature in the BIOS).
>
> There is a thread on the Fedora forums here:
> http://tinyurl.com/acerwindowsrefund
>
> I gather the guy who posted about it on the Fedora forums got something
> like a £20 refund (but had to pay something like £48 delivery costs
> there and back).  It might be a case that you could take it to the
> repair centre and have them do the work there and then (depends if you
> feel £20 is worth your while, or if you want to show that you want to be
> counted as wanting a Windows refund).  Personally I didn't bother with
> my Acer (I did for a while dual boot Ubuntu and Vista, but now my
> notebook is solely running Ubuntu).
>
> Other than this machine, I'm not sure if Dell are still doing machines
> with Ubuntu pre-installed (other than netbooks anyway).  There are some
> other options too such as Novatech (who sell laptops without an OS) and
> Linux Emporium (although I believe they are a tad expensive).
>
> Hope this helps anyway.
>
> Rob

I have had a look but ...

I am looking for a desktop replacement. That being so I feel that I
would need a large screen, at least 17". That would normally include a
separate keypad, something I use regularly on my dekstop computer.
Perhaps I should add that, at my age, I need all the visual help I can
get. And I should have included all that in my original post. Sorry,

Regards

Neil