Re: [LUG] Error 404

On 25/04/2010 17:29, Neil Winchurst wrote:
Where I am going wrong please? I have a new folder on my website which
contains just some photos. When I try to access it I am told I do not
have permission to do this. Is it not possible to open a folder on a
website which just contains pictures or just text files. That is, does
not have an index file?

I am obviously having a senior moment.

Thanks

Neil

Hi Neil,

It depends on the webhost. Mine does the same. Some allow directory browsing of files, others don't. In common with yours mine doesn't. Unless there is an index.html (or other html file) pointing to the pictures etc it will give an error 404. I presume it's a security feature.

I find it annoying because if I have any pictures I want to share with my brother in London I haev to upload them *and* create an html file pointign to them, then send him a link to the HTML file.

Don't worry, it's not you having a senior moment.

Kind regards,

Julian