[LUG] Laptop as a desktop replacement

I have kept away from laptops until recently when I was given one. Now
that I am somewhat used to it I can see that it could be useful to look
for a more powerful one to replace my rather aged desktop. And it would
save a lot of room in the spare bedroom which doubles as my study.
Brownie points are always welcome!!

I have had a look around with Google but the possibilities  seem
endless. So I am turning to the list for some ideas. I suppose that I
would need a wide screen version. The weight and size would not be
relevant as it would mostly stay in one place. I have the other laptop
as a portable version.

I am not interested in gaming at all. I suspect also that some laptops
work better with Linux than others. Is that the case?

Anyway, any recommendations would be gratefully received,

Neil Winchurst