Re: [LUG] Laptop as a desktop replacement

Roland Tarver wrote:
On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 9:36 AM, Roland Tarver
<roland.tarver@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 8:45 AM, michael mortimore
<nospamformike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 22 April 2010 16:21, NW <barnaby@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Rob Beard wrote:
On 22/04/10 15:57, NW wrote:

I have had a look but ...

I am looking for a desktop replacement. That being so I feel that I
would need a large screen, at least 17". That would normally include a
separate keypad, something I use regularly on my dekstop computer.
Perhaps I should add that, at my age, I need all the visual help I can
get. And I should have included all that in my original post. Sorry,

Regards

Neil

Ahh, in that case I can't really help much.  Doing a quick search of
Dell's site (under Home) it lists a Dell Studio 17 laptop from £579.

It's also worth bearing in mind, 17" laptops are VERY heavy.

Yes, I realise that. Since my idea is to replace the desktop computer
any laptop I buy will be treated like one. That is, it will normally be
sat on a desk or table and left there more or less permanently. So
weight is not really relevant.
In that case, I know Dell used to do 20" laptops. I'm not sure if they
still do. I did want one but I decided to be cheap and get a desktop
and netbook instead.

Can't remember if you've said what you tend to do on your computer,
but for me anyway desktop replacement means gaming laptop.  Last time
I looked around, Alienware and Novatech had 17" laptops with specs I
liked.  Unfortunately I didn't like the prices, hence my decision to
go desktop and netbook.
Hi Neil,

I bought the following 18" HP laptop about 18 months ago. Its been
running ubuntu 9.04 very well ever since.

http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptops/hp-hdx-18.aspx

(sorry site in $)

It is a nice laptop and i have had no problems whatsoever. There must
be a more up to date version about now.

It does get quite hot (I assume within normal tolerances). I need to
get some sort of cooling stand for it I think, Or perhaps just a big
lump of metal to act as a heat sink lol.

best wishes
roly

Also, recently on the lug mailing list there was some discussion about
claiming windows licensing fees back, if you are not going to use it.
So you may want to investigate that too?

Roly

But Dell say w7 is free so no refund there.
I'd avoid them on principle
Tom te tom te tom